Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I Have Been Published

The other day as I was going through my usual job search process I take nearly every single day, I stumbled upon something of interest. A job posting looking for designers with a lot of experience to write articles for a design website. I said "what the hell you can simultaneously conquer your fear of writing and make a few extra dollars in the process." I emailed the company and within less than 8 hours got the opportunity to try out. So, I searched the recesses of my tired mind and thought about what has been at the forefront of my brain these days and landed upon my idea. I would write an article about my struggles and successes with freelance work and the process as I see it. I sent the article off last night and didn't hear anything and after a long day with the kids, starting a new class tonight and coming home to more frustration with a client, I checked the website for the company whom I wrote the article for and tada!, here it is. I was even given credit for the article when I was told originally that I would start as a ghost writer. I'm so excited, I've never been published, and this is a dream come true. Thanks GrindSmart!

Like I said, I started my class tonight, Dreamweaver and I can't wait to get started. I have been designing for over ten years now and I am dying to break my way into web design. I feel like I am very skilled in print and design, and this lack of full web design knowledge is really cramping my style. So, here I am busting down these walls for myself and it feels pretty damn good when I look back and see how tough and what a struggle this last year has been. I've come a long way baby and it feels really damn good!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome Brooke! Congrats to you. You deserve it! Love the new look.

Valentina Harper said...

Brooke! This is super great!!! :) Congrats! You're going to rock in web design.
Thank you ~ Thank you for your super sweet and nice post in my blog!
This year is going to be great, believe it!

Ker said...

Wow!!!! That is so exciting! I can't imagine what it is like to search for work like you do every day... it must weigh heavily on you. Just keep fighting the good fight, and I know someday in the near future you will be working for YOU!

Chef E said...

Congrats from a chef/poet who is staring Dreamweaver book on my coffee table. I want so badly to learn to keep up my websites and build one, but fear keeps me at bay...

Like the look of your site...