Sunday, June 20, 2010

Something About The Acorn and The Tree??




Had a good laugh on myself yesterday while shoe shopping with Stella, so much so that I had to call my mom while it was happening. In my earlier, less economically insufficient life I loved me some shoes and not expensive shoes, but shoes all the same. Maybe not quite at Stella's age, but not much older I would throw fits about getting what I wanted and quite often I would win, much to my mothers frustration. I can understand, it was much easier to just give in then to contend with me for more than ten rounds, I was R-E-L-E-N-T-L-E-S-S. So, while browsing in the shoe aisle she finally found a pair she had to have and the cost was only $12.99 and she had something like $60 of birthday money, so I said of course you can get them, until we arrived in the toy aisle. She saw the $45 Barbie laptop and the shoes, well let's just say, she couldn't ever remember wanting shoes in the first place. She paid with her money, proud to receive some change back and we were on our way, shoes long forgotten.

UNTIL this morning, after having been allowed to stay up WAY too late, we're talking midnight because we had a bonfire and other children were there, so how could we put her to bed. We know our children and some may think that putting her to bed early, 8-8:30 that we're mean, but we know that she is a major ass pain if we don't. Today, no different than times in the past she performed true to form, even negotiating a trip back to Kmart this time with dad, only to discover that we were NOT going to get her the shoes and what she could afford with her remaining $5-6 dollars was not what she wanted. Which I think is great, she didn't give in to the impulse of just getting "something" to fill that void and I'm proud of her for that.

After coming home she was informed that due to whining and such, she needed to relax in her room with a movie which didn't last long and now after many tear-filled shenanigans has ended up grounded and mad and able to get to the heart of my insecurities all in one foul swoop.

She's an amazing kid, but alas she is still a girl and prone to emotionality. I remember it well so I try to remain calm, Matt on the other hand can't wrap his brain around it, especially on less than 4 hours of sleep. So, my gift to him this Father's Day, a 2 hour nap followed by a delicious dinner and finally a child going to bed at 6 and one who is already in her room because she's grounded. Sounds pleasant to me.

Have a great Father's Day today, no matter how it plays out for you! :)

No comments: