Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm A Little Heated At The Moment.

This will be brief, but I had to get it out and vent a moment and I'd like some feedback from any of you PLEASE as to if I am out of line.

So, last week I designed a party invite for a friend of mines sons birthday and it was pretty time intensive, I'm thinking like 8-10 hours of work and I have done other work for this person in the past unpaid, but did receive a thank you gift. This time however she came over to the house to order them, went on about how money is tight and then sort of half offered me $20 for my time. I said no of course and she says, "are you sure?" I said "I'm sure."

I told Matt what happened and he said I should have taken it, but I understand money being tight so it was ok. Well, yesterday I found out that her husband just bought a new iPhone! Now, I LOVE this friend dearly, but when you compare our two lifestyles, they are drastically different and she knows it.

I am a little peeved about this, but will just be letting it go, I would never want her to know that it made me feel bad. So, am I wrong?

Going to my first "doctor" appointment tonight and I'm kind nervous and don't know where to start. This should prove interesting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Since she is a friend, offering to do a job once for free is nice. Expecting every job in the future to be free is not nice. Nor is expoliting your kindness by mentioning money troubles. We all have them. She would have paid to buy invitations elsewhere, why should this situation be any different? And the phone thing is just not cool.
You have a right to be mad. In the future, before you do a job for someone, discuss how much your fee is. Then they can decide whether to proceed or not. And you don't have to deal with hurt feelings and strained relationships.

elena maria said...

Sounds like you have a good submission for Clients from Hell.

That was wrong of her. It sounds like they don't value the type of work you do. You did the right thing & you're taking the higher road.

And don't let them BS you with "we used a credit card for the iPhone & you don't take credit". Paypal solves that problem.

But at least now you can be 100% confident in your decision the next time she comes-a-calling.

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

WTH? I would be pissed too!

Anonymous said...

OH girl!!! I would be ticked off too! I hate when people kind of take advantage of other people like that. I apppreciated what you did for us SOOO much.. We are having money issues to because we have had to shell out so much for the adoption that we are doing. I thank God that we have memberships at places or else we would not be going anywhere! LOL