Monday, August 18, 2008

Problem With A Bedroom Routine.

So, we have a problem. Every single night when we put Stella to bed we try to get all the requests out of the way before she can even ask for them. You know, the I need a glass of water, I need to go potty, yada yada yada. We get her ready for bed, brush her teeth, read her stories and then gives kisses and hugs and all the other junk and tuck her in with a goodnight. Every single night I hope that this means sleepy time is not far off. However, then the annoyance ensues, the 4-10 times she gets up for the same things we've already given her again and again and quite often one begets another, such as too much water equals the need to go potty. Now, I know this is absolutely normal, but my question is this: "How do I stop getting so frustrated and annoyed with her?" And, is she just not tired enough to go to bed and should we move up her bed time? She never used to be this difficult and I get so angry with her and then I feel so bad for getting mad at her. It's a vicious cycle in our house right now.

She is having a really hard time with authority lately and as with all kids, listening. The other night she was playing at the neighbors house but kept coming back home to tattle on the other girl. I was like, tell HER mom, she's right there, don't tell me. Then when it was time for dinner, she ran away from me and made me chase her. Finally, I had Matt go get her. We ate dinner and she proceeded to sneak out the back door, forcing Matt to literally chase after her with her kicking and screaming in the wake of it all. Please tell me it is just a phase or the full moon and that it's not simply that I'm a bad parent, but that it's her immature brain trying to hardwire itself during her development!!!!!!! All I have to say is, I'm looking forward to Thursday when my mom picks her up in the morning to spend the night and all day Thursday and Friday with Grammie and Papa. I love her, but she's working my last pregnant nerves lately.

Is this the acting out because of the baby already???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

annoying and totally normal! My kids still come out 4+ times a night, Evan especially. It usually ends with a threat of no dessert the next night, or into bed even earlier. No video games too.The start of school should end it.

Jenn said...

No offense, but when I read this post I breathed a sigh of relief! It's good to know that we're not the only ones trapped in bedtime routine h*ll! No suggestions, only sympathy. ;)