Monday, December 22, 2008

Become A Dirt Ass, Get Rewarded For It!!!

*Alright, I am desperate. I know there are experts out there among you. Where can I go that I won't lose my house just to get my children seen or at the very least where can I take my newborn to get all the shots and checkups he needs? I am in a panic. We DO NOT qualify for any type of state funding, I make TOO MUCH money, however, at the moment, I can barely afford all my regular bills. Depending on when Cohen comes out, I will only have a day or so to get him to the doctor that I love, but will not be able to afford once I do not have insurance as a wellness visit would cost me $147 and a sick visit would cost me $87. What is wrong with this world where you are continually rewarded for leaching off the government. It's like if you are in the middle you are just f&%$ed! 

So, as you know, Matt was laid off the day before Thanksgiving and we'll be losing our health insurance as of January 1st. I was told by many people that my children at least would qualify for MI Child and potentially WIC. Well, I have absolutely no interest in applying for WIC, not a road I'd be willing to go down. But, for as far as health insurance goes, that is a necessary evil. Today I thought to myself, "gosh, I should really get that moving before Stella gets sick again and Cohen comes." So, I applied online. Well, guess what. We don't qualify because I make too much money. Gee Whiz, I knew that we were ROLLIN' IN THE DOUGH, but I didn't think that was any indication of whether or not my children would or would not qualify for the god given right to be raised healthfully? This is total BS if you ask me, and you should because I indeed have an opinion on the subject as you may have guessed by my post title. You see, in the eyes of the great state of Michigan, if you make anything above about $10/hour, you DO NOT qualify for a state funded program. Basically, we are being penalized for being 1. Educated, 2. Having Above Poverty Level Pay, 3. and basically Not Being Dirt Asses who always strive to be better, more productive citizens. Well, I for one am looking to purchase 4 tickets on the next train the hell out of this country and into Canada, maybe even France. Michigan and it's rediculous policies can kiss my you know what!!!!!

2 comments:

Ker said...

I can't imagine your frustration, and I'm sure many millions around the United States are now experiencing similar problems. That being said, I still believe the saying "You think health insurance is expensive now? Wait til it's free!"

Even though it totally completely sucks, there are some other things you can do besides WIC/SCHIP. There is something called "The Little Clinic" that offers services in various states (I believe Michigan is one of them) and they are usually located in grocery stores. You can get things like Flu Shots and treatments for common problems (like the cold, allergies, skin conditions, etc) on a fixed schedule. They also offer vaccinations. Oh - hey, I just found a link --- check em' out.

http://www.thelittleclinic.com/Dot_TreatmentPricingA.asp?category=103

Brook said...

Yeah that seriously sucks... Have you tried MSI?