Monday, October 6, 2008

I Am Heartbroken.

Today I heard something that made me so sad and it even made me cry. We picked Stella up from school this afternoon as we always do and she was telling us about her day. She cut out a stop sign and an arrow for her Stop, Drop and Roll mobil, apparently learning about fire saftey. Then she proceeds to tell us that at snack time a little boy sitting next to her told her she was fat. Her response was that of utter surprise and she stated, "I'm Not Fat!"
Inside I crumpled like a brittle leaf. All my worst fears leapt to the front of my brain and my throat clenched. My little baby may be slightly fluffy, but she certainly is not FAT!!! Damnit! These are my issues, not hers, why does she have to have those words uttered to her? She is beautiful and in my opinion, the cutest girl in her class, this little boy must obviously come from a family where it is acceptable to criticize even the youngest of people for various things. 
Matt's response to her was to tell the little boy, "well, at least my parents are literate, and married!" I half laughed, but inside I was hurt beyond recognition. As I got out the car after the 45 second car ride, I could hold back the tears no longer, even as I type this, I still have tears in my eyes. I called my mom, a teacher at the same school and she advised me to write a letter and that is what I intended to do anyway.
You see, in my preschool class, I was voted most sympathetic, and this is something that has stuck with me ever since, almost like a handicap, so far, Stella doesn't have this gene. God, I am so hurt by that, but luckily, she's a smart little girl, and not yet nearly as sensitive as I am or was. I love her so much.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

very cute picture of Miss Stella!
I know it stinks, but try not to let it get to you. As long as she has a positive self image, that kid can say whatever he wants and it won't stick.
Emma thinks she is fat, because she isn't a rail. It's a never ending battle, huh?

Jenn said...

Aw, Brooke. Stella is NOT fat. She is bigger (as in taller) than most 4 year olds perhaps, but certainly not fat. Look how much taller she is than Nick! And there's no doubt in my mind that she's the cutest girl in her class.

My sister was the taller and "slightly fluffy" one in our family. Somewhere around 8-9 she thinned out and now at 30, she's the skinny one - we're all envious!

Isn't it sad that our kids are only 4 and we have to worry about "playground politics"? I wish I could protect my babies forever, but I guess I can't be everywhere all the time. We just have to pray they make it through the school years with their self esteem intact and give them lots of love and positive support at home. You and Matt are wonderful parents and she'll do A-ok.

CACTUSmango said...

i hope writing the letter helps. will you be giving a copy to the little boy's parents or to the teacher?

Stella is an absolute doll.
Wasn't it just recently that another boy kissed her in line?

Well, I love that she responded quite affirmatively, "I'm not fat." So, guess what, you & hubby are doing a great job by her, because she does have a healthy self-esteem and she can tell her parents how she's feeling.