Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolute or Indecisive?

This year I do believe is the year that I make no promises. All those seem to do for me is allow me to let myself down. Instead I resolve to see the "sunny side." For example, it's not that we are using the cheapest baby formula, rather it is the most cost effective baby formula. You see how I did that? It's easy, now you try it. You want another one? How about instead of me just being too cheap and lazy to put gas in my car and drive somewhere, I resolve to lessen my carbon footprint. I know I'm being silly about this, but really, I think it will help me to do this. I am way too negative most of the time and hopefully this will make me a more positive person on a daily basis. 

In other news, Cohen is just a great little guy. He and Stella are bonding nicely and she really seems to enjoy being the big sister. My mother has always told me that one is easy and that two is more than twice as hard. I didn't know exactly what she meant, but I did know that those words really worried me. What could she mean, more than twice as hard? Where was she going with this, and why couldn't she expand on that statement? NOW I GET IT! It's not that having a new little baby in the house is hard, it's dealing with that other little one that's been there in the first position for this long now feels like they are playing second fiddle. AHA!

Her personality has gone through such changes lately that I was concerned that she might have a mental illness. Going from so sweetly holding baby bro to making snotty comments at the least little thing. I spend most of my day feeling like I'm constantly trying to reassure her in not so subtle ways that she is still much loved all the while needing to scold some of the not so lovely behavior issues that have come up. Strangest part is, I don't feel old enough to have any depth of knowledge on this subject but at 31 with two children, I guess it is what it is. Matt and I can't help but notice all the personality differences between the two in relation to newborn behaviors. Cohen is SOOOOOO much more layed back than Stella ever was even just down to when he wakes up in the middle of the night. She would immediately wake up with this shrill cry that said "feed me know or pay later." All he does is sort of sqawk a bit and makes little noises to alert you that "hey, I'm here and when you get a minute could you feed me?" I think we could be feeling this way simply because we've done this before and we know what we're up
 against and anything less traumatic than what we've already experienced we chalk up to good luck.

He's precious and she's preciously precocious. 
This photo was taken just about 24 hours after giving birth to Cohen so excuse my strange look, but in this photo I really see how and why people say Stella is my Mini Me, weird how you don't always notice those things. 

I am happy to say that since having Cohen I have lost about 22 of the 30 pounds I gained during pregnancy and I'm guessing that the gigantic boobs I've been forced to carry around the last three days may just account for a couple more pounds, so I'm nearly back to my starting point and I would like to lose another 25 to get where I really want to be, hmmm, maybe I snuck in one shiny little New Years resolution. :)

But, since I am not quite there I've had to wear some of the early maternity pants because my regular jeans don't fit yet and today, the little miss asked me why my butt is getting bigger. Wow! Someone hasn't learned to be delicate about such subjects. Matt though did reassure me that it was just the pants that looked bigger on my butt, not the other way around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thnk second babies always tend to be more laid back. It certainly is true in my case, and continues to be true. Marvel & enjoy the differences but don't try to explain it-it'll make you nuts!

Jenn said...

Love your NY resolution. We could all use a bit of that fresh half-full vs half-empty outlook. It's something I've been trying to work on myself.

Meg was more laid back than Nick (or at least when she didn't have to resign herself to the bottle when the boobs were at work).

For us, the 1st two weeks was hardest for the firstborn making the transition. But the good news is that it DOES get better. Your sweet girl will return. Would she like a playdate at Nick's house one day this weekend for a change of pace?

The pic with the 3 of you is adorable!

Anonymous said...

How the heck did you lose 22 lbs in 24 hours? You need to write a book toots!