Saturday, December 27, 2008

Welcome: Cohen Sullivan

Yes, that is him and his prison number. I thought it was funny that when they discharged us, it was not by his name, but his number D5697. Hence the old time style prison photo and number. Let's see, I went in the day after Christmas at 8am. Instead of inducing me, they said I was already in active labor and so they weren't going ahead with the petocin. I was already at 4cm and progressing nicely. After a couple hours, they gave me a shot of Nubane to deal with the contractions and I was doing fine. That wore off and the contractions sort of stopped. They gave me a whiff of Petocin and the races were off. By noon, I was having heavy duty contractions with about 30 seconds in between them. I said I wanted the epidural. The guy came in all tattooed and buff acting bragging about how good he was at administering said epidural and began the process. The contractions were getting worse and worse and by now I was crying. After probably about 15 attempts, he was going to get someone to help him, something about the pockets between my vertibrae being small. Anyway, the nurse asked me if I didn't want Demerol instead and I said YES, don't let him get somebody else. He came in and looked all apologetic and let down and I was in so much pain I just said, "don't worry about it, I don't care." At that point I went from 8cm to 10cm in probably under a minute and KNEW that I was about to push. They came in and after I think 4 pushes, hard ones, he was out, by 2:33pm. He weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 20.25 inches. A wonderful little boy and we are so thrilled he's ours.

Here's a funny story though, on Christmas night Stella was spending the night at grandma's so that we could just go easily to the hospital the next day. I said, "what time to you want me to call you tomorrow?" She said, "2 o'clock, no 2:30." Wow is all I can say, I think she is slightly intuitive. 

Any way, I am tired, sitting here typing as Cohen is laying in his bassinet. And I'm thinking about heading to bed. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

Ker said...

Congrats, he is beautiful! You had a nice "short" labor :)

I've actually started having contractions (only about 15 minutes apart) so hoping this keeps up and progresses so we can get this show on the road without being induced.

I'm so glad that everyone is healthy, and happy, and I think your daughter must have known something ;)

Merry Christmas!

Brook said...

HES SO CUTE!!! that picture is funny!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was thinking about you last night, and am glad to hear everything went well. :)

Unknown said...

He is beautiful, and looks quite abit like Stella in that photo. Congrats!

Jenn said...

OMGosh! Cohen is soooo adorable! And yes, the sibling resemblence is definitely there! I'm so so happy for you all. Welcome Cohen - you're finally here!

Anonymous said...

I am so THRILLED for you. Mostly because Cohen is here and secondly because of the insurance situation. I definately nee to talk to you more about that. Let us know when you are ready for visitors! Happy New Year! He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
~Audrey

CACTUSmango said...

Oh BrookE! He's here! Cohen is such a handsome little cutie pie! Ron & I are so happy for you :)